Regional, Statewide, and Multi-State TMC Concept of Operations and Requirements
Many TMCs are regional facilities and are intended to serve particular areas/regions. However, a TMC can also function as a statewide or multi-state facility, responsible for providing traffic management, incident management and dissemination of information to the traveling public and the media at a regional, statewide or multi-state corridor or region level. A viable way to ensure the key transportation management functions and services are maintained 24/7 throughout a regional, a state, or a multi-state region/corridor is to establish a regional/statewide/multi-state TMC where the operations of other TMCs within the regional/state/multi-state could be shared with or transferred to during off hours. Several policy, institutional and technical issues need to be considered for a regional/statewide/multi-state TMC implementation. The overall objective of this project will be to develop a document that provides technical guidance and recommended practices on the need for, how to develop, and use a concept of operations and requirements throughout the life cycle of a regional, statewide, or multi-state TMC.
To request final documents or materials related to this project, provide feedback and comments, report errors in the final report, or web site questions, contact:
- Using a Concept of Operations to Support Regional Integration Projects - A Technical Guide
- Project Fact Sheet
- Project Presentation
- Regional Transportation Operations Collaboration and Coordination: A Primer for Working Together to Improve Transportation Safety, Reliability, and Security
- Regional Concept for Transportation Operations: A Tool for Strengthening and Guiding Regional Transportation Operations Collaboration and Coordination
- Regional Concept for Transportation Operations: The Blueprint for Action - A Primer
- ITMS: A Key Strategy to Optimize Surface Transportation System Performance White Papers (PDF 92.8 KB)
- TRB report of Committee on Developing Regional Concept for Managing Surface Transportation Operations (PDF 291KB)
- Tulsa Regional ITS Implementation Plan (PDF 1.2MB)
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®.